💬 Review The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,403 happy users since 2014.
Register

Badasspenguin

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings #2) by Mackenzie Lee

A sequel to Mackenzi Lee's well-loved novel The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. In this book we are following Monty's younger sister Felicity who is trying to achieve her dream to become a doctor.

Review:
To start with, I really liked this book. Maybe not absolutely loved it, like it happened with The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, but I enjoyed it through and through. I think I really like Mackenzi Lee's writing, her realistically flawed characters, the adventure, historical setting and how positive her books are. Something about the happy ending to the adventure just gives me a warm feeling inside.
I really liked the aroace representation in this book (Felicity is aromantic asexual), and how it's explored and explained. I liked how this book is focused on friendship and family relationships and shows a character who maybe not interested in anyone romantically, but still cares for the people around her. Also, probably the best thing about the books is how the not-like-other-girls trope was explored and finally (finally!) addressed (louder for YA writers in the back). I really liked the themes of this book. Not only it's definitely a book about girls and it has a strong feministic message, but (not to spoil it to anyone but) Felicity is unable to achieve her goal in the way that she always pictured herself to, but she adapts to circumstances, takes chances, and finds her happiness in a slightly different place and a slightly different way, while staying true to herself.
On the negative side of things: I think I liked Monty as a protagonist in the previous novel a little bit more than I liked Felicity, but I think that it's connected to the fact that the characters are, in fact, very well-written, and I just happen to personally like Monty more. Also, the plot sometimes might be a bit predictable and in the end everything is resolved very neatly (a happy ending! hooray!) but it's also a question of taste and I like Mackenzi Lee's books with their good and positive endings.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book for what it is: it's YA, it's historical novel, it's magical realism, and this book explores many important topics and has many good messages for young people, and this book also kind of cheered me up while I was reading it.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, as I said it is a very good example of what a well-written YA book could be and I wish there were more books like this one.
I gave this book 4.5 stars, though here I am giving it 5 stars and don't regret a thing.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐