💬 Review Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,372 happy users since 2014.
Register

ponywonymony

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

The awaited sequel to the 2017 Wonder Woman. Set in 1984 with an unclear if intentional connection to George Orwell's dystopian novel of the same name, the film attempts to explore the excessive consumerism and capitalistic fantasies of the American 80s.

Review:
Having not seen the previous Wonder Woman (2017) I went into Wonder Woman 1984 blind without previous knowledge. The movie gave me the impression that it was released in 1984 (a hilarious coincidence to Orwell's 1984, I thought), until I realized, damn, this was released this year?? Going into the start of the film, the movie's 1080p Full HD quality gave away it's year of production immediately. The plot can be broken down in a couple ways. Gal Godot once again acts as Diana Prince (Wonder Woman), we see her dashing in to save the day in a mall robbery that turns out to not be as simple as initially interpreted. The retrieved stolen possessions is revealed to contain something fundamentally important to driving the plot forward. The main themes of the movie seem to be anti consumerism and extreme capitalism whilst tacking on some social issues such as racism and sexism, however the film fails to give these serious issues the proper respect and gravitas it deserves and makes it seems like their weird way to incite pathos which very easily falls into the more cringe-inducing bathos. Despite Wonder Woman being the titular character, I couldn't find myself immersed in her story at all, in fact, I would say the most empathetic moments of the film are between the main villain, Maxwell Lord, a struggling oil tycoon and overbearing TV personality whose similar to one of the Trump variety, and his estranged relationship with his son. Not that their was resolved in a satisfying way after a nice buildup, but at the very least it achieved what it attempted to do, I indeed felt the sons longing for his single dad and the father's insecurities, even thought it wasn't clear what exactly he was insecure about. On the topic on single parents, this is what I meant by the existence of potential to explore deeper values, but the film never went the extra step to actually explore it. The film tries to make us gain sympathy for Max Lord at the end through a brief flashback of his immigrant origins and the xenophobia the general public held towards him from childhood to adulthood, whilst simultaneously portraying him as a parallel to Donald Trump, I don't understand what they are trying to do, did they really use his immigrant struggles as a reason to become... Trump?? Also his insecurities and fear towards being seen as a 'loser' in front of his son is hinted to be tied to his immigrant origins and his desire to fit in to the America stereotype of a successful businessman and if so where is the condemnation of the racist behavior that caused Max Lord to reject his origins shamefully, when in reality there is nothing to be ashamed about. What was the point of this movie? Capitalism is bad? Consumerism is bad? Xenophobia occurred during the 80s in America? I would watch an 80s documentary if I wanted primary sources of information that revealed the state of society at the time. For a film released this year, everything it tries to do, falls extremely short and benefits no one, at all. Also, there's no stigma towards Max Lord being a single father in the 80s? Why set the film in the 80s at all, there's plenty of ways to explore the downsides of capitalism and corporatism without the glamorizing and glossing over all these issues that are just inherently tied down to the 80s. In case you say, "your reading too much into it, it's just a fun film", idk about that, the whole plot is centered around this weird concept of the "truth" and humanity and *spoiler alert* as if you haven't been spoiled already, the film ends with the moral righteousness of humanity and the "truth" triumphing over greed and power but the people they use to represent these values are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to anything righteous. Terrorists and hateful "go back to where you came from" racists? They're the ones who are the epitome of morality? There was no need to include them if they didn't know how to craft these issues in a multifaceted and nuanced manner. It could've been just a "fun film" if it didn't lazily throw in grave things that impact so many people today in an unsettling depiction of human virtue.

Would you recommend this to other users? Judging by the movie ratings, I don't think many enjoyed it, however I will acknowledge that some terribly rated movies can be extremely fun to watch such as the amazing 'Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D' which gives you a free LSD trip with no harmful side effects that may stem from actually taking one. Wonder Woman 1984 however is not Sharkboy and Lavagirl, therefore I would not recommend this film to anyone. I will give it 2 stars simply because I watched it with friends which made the experience bearable.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐

AlanParker19

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
I love DC films, but this really badly missed the mark. The film was way too long, way too dull, with barely any action. Only a handful of very short action scenes, and what was with the obsession in only using the lasso for everything in this film? No sword and shield fighting, barely used the gauntlets. Just swung a lasso at everybody. As much as I'm usually a Pedro Pascal fan, his entire character was pointless in this film. We had 2 and a half hours of bad acting from him and about 30 seconds of Cheetah.