💬 Review {Choice Of Games} Review <The Magician's Burden>

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,330,695 happy users since 2014.
Register

AidsMcGee

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Wow wow Wow, Ain't this game Something
This Choice of Game Certainly is Something.
Game Mechanics (6/10) Mixed
Like most Choice of Games, this Game offers a large array of choices that (claims) shape the direction of the story and has the usual stats and character traits such as Strength Speed for stats and Compassionate and Extroverted. Its Game Mechanics ain't anything special. However the while the methods in which you gain or lose stacks through your choices is done well and organically the situation that makes you encounter these changes are repetitive.
Story (6/10) Mixed
This Choice of Game's story is extremely linear (not bad), although it doesn't have an over arching goal to start with like most Choice of Games, Upon multiple replays the important events that I observed largely unchanged if at all regardless on the build you choose. And the ending of the game unfortunately does not show the impact of your previous interactions with your companions, you do not see the impact of your choices upon others or the story itself as such it is practically a flipping of story telling techniques. Instead of using events to spurt character growth and change, it seems your own personal character growth evokes narrative change.
Your character does not do much to change well... anything things happen to your family and the town regardless of what you do. I feel this fundamentally robs much of the feelings of empowerment that comes from a Choice of Game, the feeling that you can actually sway the outcome of the game and world and such a main draw that pulls in the fans of these games.
However I must praise this game for not going over the top and placing godly power upon a tiny mortal,as such i feel this game is quite refreshing in comparison to many other choice of games that are obviously power trips.
AS SUCH in conclusion for the story is that i can't really fault the author for going for a rather unique stance on the story, and giving less power and impact of the character. Only the second book (fingers crossed) can tell if that is a artistic choice or bad writing. as such i opt for a nuanced (6/10)
Characters (8/10) V-Niiiiiice
I read some comments on the Game Store about the writing of the characters, they complained about the lack of nuisance characters in the game. While true that the characters in the game aren't as dynamic and nuisance as perhaps Some of the Characters in Choice of Robots, when have Choice of Games been known for nuisance characters. What is more important is if they are like-able, and are they?
Heck YES
While the characters are undeniably two dimensional upon close inspection,there is just something extremely like-able about them. I believe the care and attention each character receives in the form of careful writing and descriptions of the physique of the character (and even the more "cheeky" stuff) is attentively described allowing a more immersive experience for the reader and as a whole.
There are even some incredible artwork that helps the reader perceive the authors vision and take on its characters, while only done on 2 characters they are beautifully illustrated and speaks volume about the care devoted to each character
The lack of nuisance and stuff is certainly a minus but all else is a biiiig plus.
Style (11/10) Masterful

This Choice of Game is the most stylish and awestrucking writing I have ever seen. The language used is one reminiscent of F.Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, with lavishly slathered language organically kneed into the narration. While you cant actually see its Majesty or feel the Crisp air in the game, you can almost imagine how it would actually feel to be in such a world. With its almost extravagant language, the author managed to reel me into the world and feel actual elation and emotion in the game. My review could not possibly hype up the actual magnificence of the Stylised writing and i believe is the games saving grace, enough to push it to be once of my favorite Choice of Games.

Final Thoughts
While this game certainly has it flaws and shortcomings, I wholeheartedly believe the author is someone you should be looking out for for good Choice of Games games, and i absolutely cannot wait for the next game and will be scouring the internet for a release date.
This Game is mechanically and narrative sense "fine", the character and stylistic choice is absolutely brilliant and worth playing for just for them.
I encourage you to purchase this game as i have and have a nice wholesome (not literally, because Spooooilerrrr there are some explicit stuff) experience, and or you know pirate it like a regular old jack sparrow.
Now that i have over hyped this game time for the final rating
Game Mechanics ( 6/10)
Story (6/10)
Characters (8/10)
Style (11/10)

Final Score (33/40) Very Gooood
or
8.25/10

Not that all this is done, if you like my review give me a like if you like and please suggest me some other Choice of Games to review, I know I'm not the best reviewer so please allow me to have some more experience reviewing and dont tear me into shreads <3.
Have a good day Yall
Lots of Love
Aiden

Hans Bloodsmith

Hardcore Lv9️⃣
Member for 6 years
Great review with a very detailed opinion. For me, the only thing that the game lack was a sequel.....yeah, i'm gonna leave this kind of stuff to someone that not me 😆
Anyways, if you have spare time, could you try to review some of the fans (....and maybe mostly me) favorite CoG. My first candidate is....Tin Star! Or maybe Zombie Exodus series, idk. Its up to you.
Oh and thanks for the review! And good job! Really give me some new perspective of seeing the game^^

AidsMcGee

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Sure thing Hans!!
I'd love to do more reviews, but give me a day or two I might have to replay them to have a fresh mind!
I really appreciate your compliment and i'm sure to get that review for tin star out asap and perhaps zombie series a lil later!!

Lots of Dank Nutmeg
Aiden