💬 Review Choices: Stories You Play by akithegreat

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,334,352 happy users since 2014.
Register

akithegreat

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the app you are reviewing: Choices: Stories You Play

Choices is a visual novel, simulated roleplay game comprised of many different stories created by Pixelberry Studios. These stories are formatted into different "books", comprising from one chapter (one-shot specials) to over thirty-eight chapters, with the majority of books containing between fifteen and seventeen chapters. When the game was released on August 17, 2016, it began with only three stories and three genres: Romance, Mystery and Fantasy. The game has since expanded to ninety-four stories with more on the way. (Credits: Choices Stories You Play Wiki - Fandom)

Review:
When I opened this app for the first time, it seemed easy to understand. I love that every book's first chapter is free (when you're done reading the first chapter, you have to pay a key for the next chapter), and that the books are organized according to their categories. I can easily browse books by series as well. About the books: I liked most of them because choices really matter (there are different effects depending on what choice you have made). I liked historical, fantasy, and adventure books (e.g. The Elementalist, Desire and Decorum, Endless Summer). I guess almost all of the genres are in this game. The characters are also diverse in terms of ethnicity and culture. It also saves my game progress by signing up using Google, Facebook or Apple account which is useful when you've got a new phone.
However, there are also things that need to be improved: The first thing is about the keys. I don't mind waiting for free keys, but I wish it were not limited to two keys. I'd be happier if there were a maximum of 3-5 keys. Or they can keep it limited to two keys but reduce the time limit for a free key. Make us wait for it for an hour instead of three. But I prefer the first suggestion, though. I even downloaded a modified version, but only the free premium option or unlimited diamonds work, not the unlimited keys.
The second thing is about the main characters' looks. I wish we could customize the character's look just like in the Episodes game (everything is customized, such as face shapes, body shapes, and any other parts of the body). The main characters' looks are just limited. Many people would like to have their main characters look like them.
And finally, the diamonds we receive are too low. Premium choices and outfits (that have an impact on the stories) cost a lot, like 12–40 diamonds. We only receive 2 diamonds after we finish a chapter, 1 for daily check in, 3 diamonds when we complete 3 chapters, 1 diamond per ad watched, and 15 diamonds when a book is finished. For me, it's too low because there are a couple of premium choices in a chapter. This is the reason why I downloaded the mod version.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, because it is newbie-friendly, has good stories, has different types of genres, and has a variety of characters. It also gives you free gems by watching ads and doing the missions, which you can use for premium choices. You can also save your progress by binding it with your Google, Facebook or Apple account. This app is pretty interesting, and I like it in general. There are still things that need to be fixed, but overall I rate this app four stars.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

akithegreat

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 1 year
I forgot one thing that also needed to be improved: There should be different looks of "other characters" because some of them are just recycled from other stories. Some of them don't even look like part of the story. Example of this is Madame Lemay of Desire and Decorum. She is also used in The Crown and the Flame series as Margaret Blake (photo below). I kinda wish to see new faces.

Porbis69

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 1 year
Honestly, brought me more enjoyment story-wise than Episode. Though the character customization and diversity is far from the advanced Episode mechanics, I really did enjoy playing this in my freetime back in quarantine. (My favorite series would probably be The Elementalist as it has pretty solid story building and established its plot pretty well for as much as I can remember.)