💬 Review Gubra

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,336,960 happy users since 2014.
Register

sclaire93

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Gubra

Gubra is a Malaysian movie written and directed by the late Yasmin Ahmad. It's part of the trilogy of movie series about a girl called Orked. In Gubra, we can see how adult and now married Orked continues on after the tragic death of the love of her life Jason and despite her husband's cheating, Orked continue being her fearless self.

Review:
Gubra is my all time favourite movie. It's the movie that made me want to be a writer. Yasmin Ahmad was/is a genious creative. The subtle story telling she uses in Gubra where she shows us that despite us who lives in the foreground with our big problems, there are also others who could be completely unrelated to us living their life in hardship.
My favourite line from this movie would have to be when Orked called out her ex husband on his cheating.
"What do you think woman of? Some piece of meat? It's a shame to the male species to have you with them" or something along that line but very delicious and satisfying if you watch it yourself.
The story also touches about sex workers and religion through the two characters. One of them was a young woman who works to send money to her family at the village whilst a single mother with a 7 year old boy diagnosed with HIV positive and did the work due to her irresponsible husband who owed a lot of money to the wrong type of people. The two women were close with the religious man's wife and despite being people of religion, they did not judge the two women and understood that it's just their way of life. That they did not choose that path of work because if it's possible they too want to live normally like everybody else.
Yasmin Ahmad was known for touching on the sensitive and uncomfortable topic. Where people avoided it like the black plaque, Yasmin Ahmad bind it all together and present it on film.

Would you recommend this to other users? I would definitely recommend this to everyone despite nationality. The first installment to the trilogy, Sepet, had even won international awards and were just premiered again at japan last year. you should give it a try.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐