💬 Review Heathers by nomevisss

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,098 happy users since 2014.
Register

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Heathers

The plot is about the adventures of Veronica (Winona Ryder) who is part of the most popular group of girls in school (all called Heather) falls in love with a sociopath who influences her to do deplorable things.

Review:
I didn't knew, after just search the movie for curiosity, I found one of my favorite coming of age movies.

Gradually the story begins to have a darker and more murky tone without losing a bit of comedy, although it is not a lie that the quality of his jokes fluctuates a lot thanks to the pop culture references of the 80's, but i don't mind search up for it; pop culture tells you a lot about the time and place (although I think that that happens all the time, there are jokes or sequences funnier than others).

The performance of Winona and Christian Slater, they have such a good chemistry within the dynamics of their characters' attitudes, they have a very organic synergy; and I defend Christian's performance, because it makes sense to me after the character is already known to be a sociopath and his feelings for Veronica are quite superficial... Going deeper here, I think Veronica had sociopathic tendencies, where at the end of the The film is confirmed in the character of Winona (Veronica) kills Jason without any grudge, she even clearly enjoys it when she sees him dismembered because he blew himself up, and also as she progressively lacks guilt for having killed Heather Chandler , although she was quite affected after killing Ram and Kurt... Jason did have appreciation for Veronica, but based on the capabilities of her condition, he would make a simile of hoarding her as if she were a $500,000 Birkin that at the right time will auction it off, and get his money back.

I think the difference between Veronica and Slather in the sense of the sociopathic aspect of them; it's that Veronica does feel empathy for Martha and the rest of people trying to help them after the school explote, Slather it's far gone with their mental illness don't be attended.

His satire of the clichés of teen movies, especially after sequences between the comparison of the suicide of Martha (an unpopular character) for the supposed suicide of the first Heather, a much more popular character and that Martha wanted so bad to be a cool girl, she decide to kill herself... It has in its subtext the nerve of knowing that it's only because of the laughter because of the absurdity of the dialogue that you believe it, it's very irreverent and hilarious with its comparison of social status at the time in the United States . Also shortly after the scene in the bathroom when another Heather tries to kill herself, so funny; there's a lot of black humour in this film and so well employed.

Although I saw a version for Blu-Ray, the film with the help of photo enhancement technology does not look as old as the time it has been recorded (30 years, already). Despite having been a film with a relatively low budget ($3 million at the time) I think that at the production level everything remains at the same level of decency, especially the cinematography gives it a good touch; this it's one of those films that was made for love of the story and by very experienced people. The end. Veronica holding Martha's hand was nice (after all the bullying), another probe that Veronica have just tendencies that flourish, but she still remain empathetic towards almost everybody else.

Specifically the Heathers who were left alive, while one of them did get a bit of use in the conversation with JD, about manipulating her into signing the mass suicide note, that does move the story into a confrontation between the main character; they seem like stiff characters to me, decour for the laughs... Even Heather Chandler didn't have depth like maybe Veronica, yes, at least she was funny from time to time, the others only worked as characters to divert Veronica from being able to stop JD.

Although it is quite funny (in my opinion) also with its nihilistic overtones in JD's pseudo-anarchist parliaments, wanting to believe that he suffers from inequality of opportunities or economic crises at the time, taking into consideration that his father is a millionaire ... Though out of the best of comedy intentions, the film in its irreverence takes itself seriously by just being what it is; a mockery of the times they lived in, nothing to be taken literally; but some of this cynicism it's better employed that other occasions.

The characters of Veronica's parents are filler characters, they literally don't do anything else... It's a regular factor for me because the sequences they repeat of them in the garden eating are funny, but they don't add much depth or different layers; it's boring some character are just use to be fillers, they don't need to have a full profile; but add stories that help solve others and don't let the curiosity of: ''Wait, what happened to this one? and this other character? and this other one?''

Even after some creative desitions that i'm agree with, i think the movie it's at the same level of Mean Girls in every other aspect.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you like black humour and black cynicism, absolutely.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐