💬 Review Master System – Dragon Crystal by marcos563

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,946 happy users since 2014.
Register

marcos563

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the app you are reviewing: Master System – Dragon Crystal

Dragon Crystal is an RPG-style game released by Sega in 1990 for the Master System and then re-released in 1992 for the Game Gear. Everything takes place in a single dungeon of a few floors, the game is totally maze style

Review:
hero must explore every floor until he finds what he needs to go to the next, in which case there is a star on the floor that indicates where the floor begins and ends, and as usual everything gets more difficult, where we start killing slimes, frogs and scorpions, we end up killing mages, skeletons and dragons. In addition to having to explore everything in the place in search of food and equipment, because without them there is no point in going upstairs.

The items in the game when found the first time, are in a state of indeterminacy, that is, it is not known what it will do, until testing and sometimes the effect can be a disaster... Finding the item a second time he already saw it be with his real name that even so it is not possible to know exactly what he does without seeing a guide (like this one here), for example how will I know that the Traveler Scroll teleports me to the upper floor, without having any description and with vague name, it doesn't work. Having to use the item 2x to find out what it does is a big trick, and the worst, sometimes wanting to find out if the unidentified item is good we end up with reduced level, cursed, changing your weapon for a weaker one and etc... No I take this as a bad point of the game, because just walking around the rooms is the least of the problems, not even the monsters are that bad, what gets in the way are their negative conditions when attacking, SERIOUSLY!!! This must be the first and only game where an enemy can lower your level! And I don't say temporarily, and that's right, you spend hours gaining Exp and the damn thing comes and reduces your level or permanently cuts some of your attack points.

I play in this style, they exploit their bad luck, so even if you know everything about the game, and even if you have the best items and equipment, you can see a blessed slug and stay in the exact position that you couldn't be and kill you lol, there is no one formula of "always win" your skills and patience will be tested, for being simple Dragon Crystal becomes interesting, and challenging. The simple gameplay of a turn-based RPG, with some elements of an action RPG, combined well, but due to the limitations of the time we have problems adapting, it's not cool to face the same 15 enemies in the game in 3 different colors to make it look like there are more models , or worse, having to spend an eternity listening to the same sound, in every dungeon the audio changes only 3 times!!! and the background isn't the best either, I don't think there are much more than 5 of them that keep repeating themselves until the end.

Finally, I say that this game falls into a rare category of RPG without a story and that can be finished in a few hours. It all started with a young man riding a bicycle, entering a store and when he saw an item he was trapped in this world, and he has to venture out to be able to leave and don't expect great things at the end, or rather, don't expect anything at the end, because it won't be much more than that. The game is good, it has many limitations, most of them due to the age of the game, so we can accept them, the game is good, but it gets boring fast, because of the repetition, it will be a great challenge for you that I guarantee!

Strengths: Graphics, which are pretty cool for the console; Difficulty level and Gameplay that is quite easy to learn, but doesn't make it

Negative Points: Soundtrack, as I mentioned before, is pretty bad and lacks a decent ending, which makes the story pointless.

Grade: 7.0 / 10.0

Would you recommend this to other users? YES, It's my favorite game, my eternal love.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐