💬 Review Midsommar

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,330,307 happy users since 2014.
Register

Stargirl89

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Midsommar

Midsommar is a horror thriller by director Ari Aster, it is the second film in his series exploring cults.

Review:
Midsommar is one of the most unique and most terrifying movies of the past decade. It's slow build up keeps viewers on the edge of their seat as they follow protagonist Dani on her journey to a small Swedish village to participate in their Midsommar festival. The sun seemingly never sets in the idiolistic village of Harga, as such almost every scene takes place during daylight. This decision makes it so that midsommar cannot rely on darkness in order to inspire fear as many other horror movies do. Midsommars bright background provides an intense and interesting parallel to the viewers growing discomfort throughout the film. Aster masterfully ratchets up the suspense as the viewer realizes what is happening behind the scenes at the Harga Midsommar festival. The film also doubles as a character study of Dani as she navigates the failing relationship between her and her boyfriend Christian, as well as dealing with her grief and trauma from an incident early in the movie. Both characters are unfulfilled but are unwilling to move on due to this past trauma. Aster explores Dani's attempts at coping alone as she does not have a community to fall back on. Viewers should be aware of scenes involving graphic gore and depictions of suicide.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I would recommend this movie.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Sy9126

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
I loved Midsommer! The paradoxes throughout the film were so interesting to think about long after watching it. Have you also seen Hereditary? I watched it after Midsommer and actually enjoyed it even more.

Stargirl89

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
I have seen Hereditary! I watched it before Midsommar and honestly I liked Midsommar more. I feel like Midsommar has a tighter plot that works up to the climax perfectly, while Hereditary's ending kind of just went off the rails very quickly. Hereditary is very interesting to think about as it also had a ton of little plot details and foreshadowing.

Sy9126

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Yeah, the ending was a bit iffy but because I watched Midsommar first, it didn't throw me off so much. I just loved how real of a "horror" movie Hereditary was, but both of them were a great watch :giggle: