💬 Review Night In The Woods by leatherpb

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,335,165 happy users since 2014.
Register

leatherpb

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the app you are reviewing: Night In The Woods

Night In The Woods is a side-scrolling platformer. It is a game with a heavy focus on story, exploration, and characters.

Review:
Night in the Woods is a very unique game. First, I want to talk about the game’s art style, which is a point of great appeal for the game. Every area has unique set pieces all made in a beautiful 2D style. The way the lighting is done makes everything seem to glow and gives the game a unique atmosphere throughout.
The music as well contributes to this atmosphere. Most of Alec Holowka’s music consists of relaxing atmospheric tunes, perfect for studying (as I often use them for). However, there are a few standouts that make the OST truly special. Mainly the band songs and the songs used during the dream sequences (such as Die Anywhere Else or Astral Coal Town). These songs are worth a listen and the whole OST gives the game a magical quality.
But let’s get into the true meat: The characters. The main character is Mae Borowski, a character I connect with. Mae is lively and snarky, most of the dialogue in the game coming from the cat’s mouth. It makes the game very engaging as the main character always has something fun and interesting to say. Uncovering her secrets and stories is also an interesting aspect of the game, and through Mae you explore the small dying town of Possum Springs. The art and music bring this town to life, and you spend most of the game in this area as it slowly opens up to you and offers more interesting lore. There are hundreds of characters to interact with, each offering a little tidbit of the world or in their life.
The other main characters are Gregg, Bea, and Angus. Gregg and Bea especially have connections to Mae, and throughout the game you can choose which one you will get closer and discover their stories. It’s worth playing for yourself and seeing how the story unfolds. Speaking of the story, the first half of the game is entirely chill, sucking you into the atmosphere and the world without many stakes. However, eventually the game reveals its true hand, and it’s worth playing for yourself to discover the truth about Possum Springs and the hole at the center of everything.

Would you recommend this to other users? I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves story and art when playing video games.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐