💬 Review Oblivion by Joyinexpression

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,337,296 happy users since 2014.
Register

Joyinexpression

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Oblivion

The movie starrs Tom Cruise as Jack Harper in a post-apolcalyptic world. It is the year 2077 and humanity has barely survived an alien attack and is ready to make the next move- live in space.

Review:
It's a sci-fi with a few mysteries tossed in it. At the start of the movie you get your basic sci-fi set up and love interest, but slowly you realize that things are not what they seem. The slow development of the initial stages of the plot serve as world building and serve as a foundation for the rest of the movie. There is not a lot of character development in this film, for, as I see it, it is not a movie about the protagonist, it a movie about the world and humanity.
*SPOILERS AHEAD*
*SPOILERS AHEAD*
*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Jack Harper keeps having these dreams concerning a woman that he doesn't know. Or does he? Of course he does, but she is in stasis in a cryo pod which he saves from the machines. When she is out of stasis she claims that she is over 80 years old and to be his wife. Turns out that they were part of a crew set to investigate an alien ship but the aliens made clones out of Jack Harper and annihilated humanity with them. Each Sector has a Jack Harper operating it and seeking out and destroying humans.

Would you recommend this to other users? It's one of my favorite movies, I would recommend it to people who like sci-fi and mystery, and that don't have a problem with a slow plot.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

NekoGrow

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
“Oblivion” is really a love letter, indirectly me and the audience who really like science fiction films must have been eaten by the crap. Unfortunately, this Kosinski is really good at “modus”. "Oblivion" can't just run away from its sub-optimal efforts, when it comes to story-telling, or at least presenting characters who are given a deeper identity, which makes me care more. I admit, Kosinski was a little less enthusiastic in developing the story when he jumped into the second half, the film felt like it was being stretched. However, Kosinski was able to make up for the shortcomings of this film with other features, which made me forget that “Oblivion” does have a thin layer of story, as thin as the chemistry presented by Tom Cruise and Olga Kurylenko who plays a character named Julia. “Oblivion”, inheriting what Kosinski had offered in “Tron: Legacy”, its visual effects and scoring are stunning. It is these two elements that keep “Oblivion” alive until the end of the film. The CGI polished visuals not only spoil the eye and deceive anyone who sees it, but are able to melt into the beautiful cinematography conjured up by Claudio Miranda (Life of Pi), making “Oblivion” truly eye-catching for two hours. crazy. Not to mention the score that was composed by the gang of Anthony Gonzalez and his M83 with Joseph Trapanese, making emotions and moods dive into every scene in "Oblivion", whether it's when the action portions start to be stripped away one by one, or when the drama is trying to "beg" audience sympathy. I really enjoyed reading Joseph Kosinski's love letter, it's cheesy and poetic… that's “Oblivion”.