💬 Review Persuasion by NoUsernameYe

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,435 happy users since 2014.
Register

NoUsernameYe

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Persuasion

Anne Elliot cannot forget her past romance with Frederick Wentworth. She decides to move on, but her fate seems to always bring her closer to Frederick.

Review:
I get the fact that Netflix is trying to reference Bridgeton as much as they can because it's good, but you just can't modernise something that isn't supposed to be modernised and also change the protagonist's whole personality. Really do words like "playlist" and quote "He is a ten and I never trust a ten." sound like something Jane Austen would write?

Anne is portrayed very differently: In the book, she is quite shy and introverted, but in the film, she is the other way around. Not to mention the fact that she is constantly breaking the 4th wall (talking to the camera). Anne is more like a hot mess in the adaptation and it actually makes me think of Elizabeth Bennet and that is not good, because they are very different characters. I mentioned this in my Reddit post, but I also expected to see more flashbacks because Anne and Frederick's most important and heartbreaking memories are from their past, and they are not present here at all. And there is no spice in this film whatsoever.

There is no chemistry between Anne and Wentworth at all. And believe me when I'm saying this because I'm the type of person who still ships characters even though they don't match at all (*AHEM* Catherine and Peter). Literally, every interaction Miss Elliot and Captain Wentworth have is super awkward and they barely talk. And then at the very end, BAM LOVE LETTER AND "ANNE I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED YOU AND BLAH BLAH". Like really now Netflix, if you're going to modernise something at least give us spice.

In the end, I'm going to say that the movie was mediocre for a Netflix movie, but for a book adaptation especially Jane Austen it was HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE in fact. I give it a 3/10 and I don't even see the point in talking about historical accuracy.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you haven't read the book and don't mind the cringe, the horrible historical accuracy, the breaking of the 4th wall and the terrible writing, then you should watch it.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐