💬 Review preacher (seasons 1-4)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,332,453 happy users since 2014.
Register

axelleviii

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Active User
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: preacher (seasons 1-4)

television adaptation of the comics by garth ennis and steve dillon. the amc original show stays somewhat true to the source material and explores one man's journey to find god and get some answers.

Review:
full disclosure, i have not actually read the comics this show is based off of, but i have read several articles that list a lot of the main differences.

!!! SPOILERS !!!

season 1: according to my sources, s1 is almost completely new material. there are some hints made to later plots and arcs in the comics, but it is more like a prologue to introduce all the characters and flesh out the story. jesse custer inherits his dad's church, but it seems that not many people are interested in going to hear his preaching. then, a mysterious entity finds him after going through several other holy leaders and making them explode into blood and guts. for some reason, it doesn't make jesse explode and he's able to use its power, though he struggles with it and often his best intentions backfire. the being is known as genesis and the power it grants jesse is that all who hear must obey his commands.

eugene root is also introduced, but he's more often referred to as "arseface" because his mouth looks like an anus after he failed to kill himself with a shotgun to the mouth. eugene's character is mainly comic relief, though he does also help move the plot along.

tulip o'hare is jesse's long time on-again-off-again girlfriend and partner in crime. when she shows up and trouble is usually not far behind.

proinsias cassidy, who goes by his surname cassidy (cass for short) is an irish vampire who's also a junkie. he's a bit of a con artist as well, we meet him posing as a steward on an airplane. he's several hundred years old. in this series, vampires can regenerate as long as they have fresh blood and cassidy can go out during the day as long as he's not directly exposed to sunlight, so you often see him with an umbrella, his body as covered up as possible.

herr starr is also introduced, he's one of the leaders of a shady organization called "grail" that is fascist in nature and has its fingers in pretty much every industry and government imaginable.

two angels show up trying to recover genesis from jesse, but he refuses to give it to them. during this time, they accidentally reveal that god has gone missing and that they don't know where he is. they also summon a vengeful cowboy apparition that can kill anything he aims his guns at named the saint of all killers.

season 1 sets up the scene for the actual plot of the comics to come to light, which is a road trip type story about jesse and company's quest to find god and get some answers, such as where has he been, why can jesse use genesis's power, and why do bad things happen. i felt that the introductions to all the characters were enjoyable and really established their personalities.

season 2: most of season 2 is the characters searching for god while also trying to evade the saint of all killers and the grail organization. the grail's modus operandi is revealed; they have been protecting the secret lineage of jesus christ in hopes of creating a new messiah to then use to start the apocalypse with. since they have been keeping this lineage clean the same way as monarchs of old did (incest) the christ child (which they nickname humperdoo) is deformed and mentally challenged, his only talent being tap dancing, as a riff on the colloquial expression "jesus tap dancing christ."

they learn god enjoys jazz music and decide to start their search in new orleans. cassidy has a son there, an old man named denis who only speaks french. denis resents cassidy for not turning him into a vampire and letting him grow old.

they manage to shake the saint off their trail for a while by locking him inside an armored truck that they then drive into a swamp, but the saint can't die and eventually gets out of there. the season ends with tulip being killed by featherstone, a grail operative.

season 3: this season we learn about jesse's past as well as tulip's. jesse and cass take tulip's dead body to his abusive grandmother who has the ability to bring people back from the dead. most of the season is jesse dealing with his past and dragging his friends along for the ride. tulip is successfully resurrected, but the price is jesse's freedom, so they plot an escape.

there's a subplot where eugene, who was accidentally sent to hell by jesse's power, befriends hitler and the two escape from hell and make it back to the world of the living, but eventually the devil is killed by the saint, and hitler takes his place as the ruler of hell.

season 4: the final season. a lot of things start coming to fruition. i jokingly call this season foreskin due to some really disturbing torture that cassidy has to endure where he's repeatedly circumcised by grail. the apocalypse finally gets an air date once humperdoo is located and things start falling into place... or are they falling apart?

at the last minute, cassidy kills humperdoo, god runs away again, and jesus kills hitler. there's several time skips after the apocalypse is averted to tie up all the loose ends. two years after god runs away, the grail operatives that jesse had commanded to find him succeed and jesse and god meet in front of the alamo. it's then revealed that god is just upset that humanity doesn't love him the way he wants them to. now that jesse is sure that god won't be annihilating all of humanity, he decides to set genesis free and walks away from god, who returns to heaven... where the saint is waiting for him and kills him. the saint then sits down on the throne of heaven.

time skips again, and we see jesse and tulip are back to their old tricks, running from the law and rival gangs while also raising their daughter.

one final time skip and we see jesse and tulip's graves with their daughter and cassidy reminiscing. the daughter reveals that tulip always loved cassidy which then prompts cassidy to end his own life by walking into direct sunlight.

the ending felt somewhat rushed and far too domestic for this band of misfits we've gotten to know throughout the 4 seasons, but overall, it was an interesting show and i enjoyed the cynical take on christianity that it had. the characters were often too flawed, or generally unlikable; it was hard to empathize with jesse much since he was often depicted as abusive and selfish, same with tulip who was too hot headed for her own good. i found myself enjoying cassidy's character the most, as he was the most relate-able, but he was apparently a much darker character in the source material so i doubt i'd like him as much there.

Would you recommend this to other users? yes, but be warned. the series does have a lot of gore, violence, and triggering content. it's rated tv-ma and is not suitable for children.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐