💬 Review Samsung Galaxy J8 by triplesssakime

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,332,930 happy users since 2014.
Register

triplesssakime

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Reviewed Device: Samsung Galaxy J8

Description
[ Android Oreo 8.0 ]
A decent phone with a made of polycarbonate plastic with a thin metal trimming - it is pretty sturdy and solid. The phone runs on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 octacore processor, supporting 3GB or RAM and 32GB (although some have 64) of expandable storage through a micro SD Card. (but sometimes the process can take slower, probably due to the CPU). It runs on a 3500mAh battery.

The phone has a 6 inch AMOLED display, with a resolution of 720×1480 resolution. It also supports both fingerprint scanner and face recognition (given that this is a feature most phones already have). The phone's front camera is powered with 16-megapixel, while the back has a dual camera with 16MPand a 5MP depth sensor.

It is a dated phone model that had came out two years ago, therefore most of the features are quite outdated in comparison to more recent phones.

Performance: ⭐⭐⭐
Camera:     ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Quality:      ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Price:       ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Things I like
I am mostly enthusiastic about the build, which, in my experience, is extremely durable. I had this phone when it first came out (so, close to two years) and have not bothered to buy neither a screen protector nor a phone case. In that time span it is safe to say that I had dropped it a few dozen times and up to this date it has only amounted, excluding a few small scratches, one minor crack (which had happened because my acquaintance had, unfortunately, accidentally dropped it into a pointed rock) but it isn't too noticeable.

The camera is also worth mentioning. Given that Samsung seems to amass a great fraction of their smartphones to have a great camera specs, it isn't too surprising. Both front and back cameras are equipped with their own flashes (not very surprising) so it's a bonus feat during the night. The dual camera feature is especially worth mentioning, as the ability to blur the background to give depth is one of the better aspects.

The battery is also good. Powered at 3500mAh it can last me for half the day with average usage and no extensive use - which, given that the area where I study doesn't have the luxury to allow us to charge during and in between classes, is extremely useful on my part. Although it should be noted that the phone does tend to charge slower, especially if the power source is weak.

I also do appreciate Samsung for implementing the infinity display on this particular model.

Things I don't like
Not quite in the "I don't like" department but I have mixed feelings about this phone model's display. The phone offers a 6 inch Super AMOLED Display, a ratio of 18:9 and very vibrant colors, certainly, it has good visuals. It also supports built-in Outdoor Mode (which is typical on these phones ans with countless outdoor experiences has proven to be useful) and a Blue-light Filter (again extremely useful, especially when doing a bit of night reading). The phone gives you a very vibrant choice of display, however, the low resolution for me is a no. 750×1480 resolution is certainly lower than most of other device's display, which can be disappointing and noticeable if you have gotten used to devices with higher resolution. Overall, the display department is still great.

Main issue is performance. The phone is powered by a Snapdragon 450, which is, to say the least, questionable. Snapdragon 450 is a rather low choice for a processor, which is a bit surprising. It isn't the best choice to play games that runs on its graphics, because it will get heavy. It also heats up a lot when you multitask. Throughout the time, I did witness extensive lagging and constant heating, thus I can conclude that it is, certainly, not the best device to play on because it doesn't run very smooth.

Overall Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐

Verdict
No. I wouldn't recommend it. From the phone's pricepoint, you can get better phones at a similar price (I would recommend Huawei phones instead). It has it's great aspects and it does work well with support to all (in my own perspective) the necessary features. However, the main issue is the processor, which the phone could have been better if they had gotten a processor that isn't fairly old (which is my main issue). The phone is good, overall, I just wouldn't urge others to buy it when I know they can buy better.

TL:DR:
Pros: good battery, infinity display, rather durable build, amazing camera quality.

Cons: low phone resolution, old processor, low performance.

Conclusion: Wouldn't recommend, there are better phones with the same pricepoint. Main issue for me is the low performance because of the old processor used.