💬 Review The Soul Stone War [Hosted Games]

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,332,904 happy users since 2014.
Register

Eriserato

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: The Soul Stone War [Hosted Games]

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 🎮 MOD APK - [Hosted Games] The Soul Stone War v1.1.7 - Full Version Unlocked, Stats & Relationships Boosted(updated)(updated)

A text-based choose-your-own-adventure game with a customizable protagonist that is listed as containing 487,000 words of content. You play a somewhat normal human on the run from your past, who ends up a part of an important mission. Along the way you meet several companions who the player is able to romance with various options.

Review:
Protagonist:
You definitely play as someone who is the weakest member of the group. Not to say that you can’t do anything, but even if you pass stat checks for magic and combat, there are still sections where you will be rendered helpless and your companions will seek to protect you as the weakest link. This didn’t bother me at all but it might be annoying to those who want their character to be a badass hero/anti-hero. Something that was a little annoying was that between the actiony moments and the romance moments, it just seemed like our character was always walking around in a daze being introspective. Like to the point that other characters basically steered as around and talked to us but we didn't respond/hear them and just went where we were pointed until we came back to ourselves and it was time for the next part in the story. I just felt like that could've been handled more smoothly. The first time it happens is understandable because we're injured, exhausted, and terrified but it happens about 3-4 more times after that.

Also as a sidenote, one of the backgrounds (the Harvest Valley one) involves your character almost being sexually assaulted. The game gives a warning when you’re choosing but just to add my own thoughts as someone who chose this background, the description of what happens to your character is very vague if that helps.

Setting:
The in game universe was a little confusing. There's not a whole lot of world-building outside of what's immediately important for the player to know. So at first I thought it was your typical medieval fantasy, filled with magic, humans, elves, etc. But then suddenly we meet a shifter (werewolf in this case) and then the story tells us they exist. Oh, okay cool I like shifters. And then we meet a vampire and are suddenly told that yes they exist in this world too. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing to have them included, it just threw me off a bit because nothing about the world is really explained until the moment you run into something. Then all of a sudden we're told yeah these things existed all along and are totally possible in this game universe. Maybe a lore page in the stats section would be nice to have.

Romance:
So I did the polyamorous romance with Morkai and Strassa, and the “secret” romance with the villain. Morkai and Strassa were fine (Strassa is a precious cinnamon roll and the bold flirt options with Morkai are spicy). You definitely feel like they both have a connection to each other and your character, but it did seem to come on a bit fast imo. The secret romance was great. I love villains and the writer did a good job of not making this into a “villain just needed love to change his ways” trope. The dude is still sinister and your character is very conflicted about the feelings they start to develop for them. You don’t get as much time with them as the others, but if you unlock the romance correctly, you get a big chunk of content towards the end. The only thing that bothered me about this route was that after “locking into” the romance, the love interest suddenly cares about the protagonist a little too much? It just felt like he went from “this puny mortal is amusing” to “HOW DARE YOU HURT MY LOVE” in like two pages. I think a few more lines about how their “bond” affects them would make that transition a little better. Unfortunately I didn’t do any of the romances involving the two women, so I can’t comment on those.

Choices:
I think the writer did a good job of giving the player enough different choices to personalize their character. Especially involving other characters, you could shyly “flirt” with your crush or just be friendly or mean or simply uncaring, etc. I really love when writers do this because being a bold flirt never feels right to me, so it’s nice to get to be shy and/or awkward about it. As for regular story decisions, there’s a few that change enough without completely changing up the road the story wants to take you down so that was fine.

Technical Stuff:
This game is not a stand alone one shot. It is meant to be a series so even though the game is a decent length, it does end just when things start to come to a head. So be aware of that going in. The tone of the writing was a little annoying. The narration is like a very expressive yet sarcastic type of humorous tone that was almost always present. So in the serious and action-filled moments it made everything seem a bit silly. It’s hard to explain, but I personally would’ve preferred a better balance between the dry, sarcastic humor and the deadly serious moments. The quality of the writing was still decent though.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you enjoy fairly long text-based games, various romance options, magical settings, and "hero on a quest" types of stories I think you'll find something to like about The Soul Stone War. It has some amount of replayability if you want to choose different love interests or different approaches to the various scenarios too which might be a plus. I only replayed the game once to check out the secret romance, and I liked that romance so much that it bumped up my original rating of the game. So yes I would recommend this game to others, especially if you like Hosted Games/Choice of Games and complicated romances with "villains".

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐