Thoughts on games with romance?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,328,120 happy users since 2014.
Register

VerneJules

Recluse
eBook Releaser
Member for 6 years
Basically, I'm just trying to explain that I don't like playing games without romance but I also don't like playing just romances because I like the relationship to be my main focus but not the main focus of the game. Do you guys share my thoughts on this?

If so, then I have game recs for you: Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (All these games are from Bioware, they love their romance too 😇)
Other titles I also played just because they have romance subplot: Fire Emblem, Persona, Rune Factory. Ever heard of 'em?

I plan on playing Baldur's Gate if I ever find myself some time. If you have any game recommendations, I would very much like to know 😊

• Love
Reactions: Ife

BlackSheep11

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 1 year
Too often, romance in games fails to engage me because it feels like a game. "Pick these menu choices to see this character fall in love with you" doesn't feel like a real story. Worse are games where romance is driven by "gifts" you have to find and collect to garner someone's affection. This is likely a symptom of games making the protagonist a blank slate, to be inhabited by the player. The unpredictability in the player's choices makes any emotional connection characters have to the protagonist feel forced.

In games where the protagonist has their own personality and history outside the player's control, I think well-written romance can be a good addition to the story and characterization.

Ife

Sbennytopia's Asocial Pirate 🏴‍☠️
Member for 5 years
I totally feel the same. I don't like pure romance but I do love games with romance in it. Are these mobile games or PC?

tescan

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 2 years
In The Witcher there is also romance, though it looks like more like one night stands. Although the romance in Dragon Age and Mass Effect is actually also about having sex.
There is romance in Neverwinter Nights II, but not really visible in the way of kissing or having sex. In Mount & Blade Warband and Mount & Blade II Bannerlord you can even marry.
The Final Fantasy franchise is known for having romance, such as Final Fantasy XIII. That is actually more romance, more then that of BioWare. Romance is more then having sex and kissing and that is actually what happens in Mass Effect and Dragon Age. If romance is your thing, go play Final Fantasy. But then the singleplayer ones, not the mmorpg like XIV.

AlexWrite

Lurker Lv0️⃣
It's fascinating to see how different games approach the theme of romance. The Witcher and BioWare games bring a more explicit aspect, while titles like Neverwinter Nights II and Mount & Blade Warband focus on broader concepts like marriage. The Final Fantasy series, known for its intricate narratives, offers a deeper exploration of romance, emphasizing emotional connections beyond physical intimacy. Each approach brings a unique flavor to the gaming experience. Enjoy your gaming adventures and the diverse tales of love they unfold!

lolhahalol

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
i like the aspect of romance in games but not when they're the main focus of the game