💬 Review Where The Crawdads Sing by Deila Owens

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,333,397 happy users since 2014.
Register

teenbastille

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Where The Crawdads Sing

'Where The Crawdads Sing' by Delia Owens captures the true essence of loneliness, loss & misfortune. This is my review, only 30-something chapters in.

Review:
WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING - Deila Owens

I don't read books often, but when I do they're mostly set these godforsaken concrete jungles, oozing bloody violence and strong language.

At first, I didn't pay much attention to the hype. Out of nowhere, during the 'Tiger King' lockdown, several celebrities started ranting and raving about 'Crawdads'. I was left in the dark by my own choice, something of which J now have came to regret. I didn't know that the lead protagonist, Catherine 'Kya' Danielle Clark, is/was around my age by the end of the novel. I didn't know that we shared two of the same names. Heck, I didn't even know that they were making a movie until the sister albums 'Folklore' and 'Evermore' got released, no thanks to (psychic???) Taylor Swift fans. God, I wish I paid attention sooner. If you're reading this, trying to find easy ways to get SB points for a Kim Kardashian Hollywood mod, this is your calling to READ THE BOOK.

While I haven't read all of it, of which this is probably a lousy review, I can say that this book is beautiful. Set in the south, where every spoken sentence has an accent ('), Kya is the sign of the times for a truthful female protagonist. Over the span of twenty-something years, in her shadow, we see 'the Marsh Girl' go from being a timid-helpless creature blossom into an independent, lonely woman.

This is the first book I've read which depicts a young lady's first-period accurately, which is a shame but at the same time funny. I was afraid to stand up too, Kya. It also makes me question the authors knowledge of isolation and loneliness. As someone who obviously doesn't have much of a life, or no friends, apart from Kim K on this stupid app which I'm probably never going to get, I am like Kya. Granted, I don't like shellfish, seafood or grits... But I am alone, borderline unhygienic and numb. I understand why she screams at the birds her problems when it comes to either Chase or Tate.

Kya deserves the world, but instead she got potluck since her Ma left. Actually, she had potluck since she was born into that horrible family. She deserved so much. Never before have I wanted to hug a fictional character—then again she isn't quite fictional.

Would you recommend this to other users? Read the book. Watch the movie when it comes out. Stream Taylor Swift's novel inspired song 'Carolina' when it comes out. Follow Daisy Edgar Jones, who plays Kya. I don't know. But whatever you do, read this beautiful book about a girl who collects feathers and seashells...talking to birds.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐