💬 Review Whiplash

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,846 happy users since 2014.
Register

Rosie45

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Whiplash

Whiplash is a movie about a young jazz drummer slowly going insane because of his tormenting teacher.

Review:
*SPOILERS*

I'll start by saying that from my first viewing, Whiplash became my favorite movie.
It's filmed in a way that makes you experience everything like the main character, Andrew. It creates an unnerving feeling of dread. You watch Andrew spiral into madness without being able to help.
You're both rooting for him and screaming at the screen for him to just stop destroying himself.
Same with fletcher, our antagonist. You can't help but laugh at his ridiculous insults, but he's ACTUALLY scary. I would describe him as an introvert's nightmare. The first time I saw him yell at a student (trombone kid.) I actually flinched.
It's unlike anything I've ever seen.
It creates a perfect atmosphere. Part of why i love this movie so much is the music. It's an integral part of the movie.
My favorite part of the movie is by far the ending. It has an incredible flow, it captivates the audience, and leaves you with your jaw hitting the floor. I do think it's misinterpreted as a happy ending though.
Andrew finally became the next charli parker, but at what cost? To truly commit himself fully to his craft, Andrew had to lose his old self. He had to devote himself completely to being the best. Andrew is no longer andrew. He's rude to people, breaks up with his girlfriend, and is just cold and angry. We don't get to see what happens after Andrew finishes his solo, and i know that made alot of people angry, but i think it's perfect. It shows us the pinochle of Andrew's insanity. The moment at which he lost himself and became, in the words of Damien shazele the creator of Whiplash, "A sad empty shell of a man."

Would you recommend this to other users? To summarize, I would 100% recommend you watch this movie. It does have strong language and at times graphic imagery, so watch with caution.
It's a beautiful story about sacrificing yourself for perfection, and is simply a masterpiece.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐