💬 Review Wish Dragon

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,333,265 happy users since 2014.
Register

Carl25

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Wish Dragon

A new movie just recently released on Netflix International release which is based in China with the main character named Din who had managed a Magical Teapot with a Magical Wish Dragon sealed inside. And this movie is also a 2021 American-Chinese computer-animated fantasy comedy film written and directed by Chris Appelhans. Produced by Columbia Pictures

Review:
First of all, Wish Dragon is obviously or at least slightly inspired by the Movie Aladdin with the three wishes stick with denies/wish dragon along with the two movie's main characters wishing to become someone from higher status in life with Aladdin wishing to become a prince to get close to Jasmine while Din to become a "Princeling" to meet up with Lina again. But despite the similarities shared by the movies, Wish Dragon stills gives itself a new perspective on the effects/results of wishes of the lesson that "Money can't buy happiness" that the movie was pointing to as its main lesson.
In the movie, For me, I think that the characters were a bit one-sided in their personalities rarely getting out from their respective stereotypes. Although the movie does fairly portray well the Asian people in their way of interacting with each other such as close neighbors gossiping about drama and jokingly. But some western people may not see it that way.

But Animation wise the movie was fluid the bounce and stretch of each action of the characters seemed natural in a somewhat cartoony way and as an Asian myself I feel the movie feels right at home. And of course, it's a run of the mill average film with a generic lesson for kids and adults alike, but if you execute the film well in story-telling and character development then even if it is just a mediocre movie, many people could still enjoy it so for me I would give it 4 stars out of 5.

Would you recommend this to other users? I would recommend it for people to watch for a time-killing but wouldn't expect it to be a repeatedly watched movie.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited by a moderator: