💬 Review 1917

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,088 happy users since 2014.
Register

Jimnet518

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: 1917

1917 - One important day in the lives of 2 men during World War I. Sent on a mission to stop a pending attack that will lead to an ambush and save 1,600 men, including ones soldier's older brother. I would best describe this as similar to Saving Private Ryan but with less action and more suspense.

Review:
This movie is a unique experience, at about two hours long it is portrayed as one continuous camera shot, never cutting away from the two men, simply swinging the camera around. I found parts of the movie to seem a bit slow but almost always tense, with danger seemingly around every corner. The feel of the movie deepens as the men continue the journey, behind enemy lines, with no backup, they encounter various obstacles and enemies along the way, and only a few allies. Having known about the continuous shot before seeing the movie I found myself keeping an eye out for instances where it was cut together to get the effect, such as when it would have a tree or such move across the screen quickly, I was very impressed with how little this is noticeable, I only caught two instances for certain, and one of them is obvious and natural as part of the story. The tone of the movie doesn't change, but rather deepens, around halfway making for an even more intense and suspenseful second half. This fictional story is written by Sam Mendes based on actual war stories from his grandfather, which adds to an authentic feel for the story.

Would you recommend this to other users? Absolutely, one of the better pictures I have seen recently.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐