💬 Review [PC OTOME GAME] Hyakka Hyakurou/Nightshade

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,333,604 happy users since 2014.
Register

audriisaurus

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: [PC OTOME GAME] Hyakka Hyakurou/Nightshade

In this game, you play as a young kunoichi named Enju (name interchangeable), daughter to the masters of two warring ninja clans: Koga and Iga. As you receive your first ever mission, you must travel to the capital with your childhood friends in a quest to capture a man called Goemon...and hopefully, return safely back home.

Review:
If you're looking for an otome game that will give you really giddy DOKIS, this might not be it.

I will keep it as non-spoilery as possible (just a couple of foreshadowing here and there) so that those who plan on playing this game will get to enjoy the mystery of the plot to its full capacity. However, I would like to warn you that this game is very, very, very angsty and I'm torn between loving it or chucking the whole game back to Steam before bawling my eyes out.

I LOVE NINJAS. Or really, anything historical and all that jazz. So it's no surprise that I came to love Hyakka Hyakurou. It reminded me a lot of Hakuoki, except we have ninjas and not swordsmen. Also, we don't have vampires this time (hah)...doesn't mean it's not completely tragic as well though.

I adore the characters so much. Enju's shenanigans with her childhood friends always made me crack a smile or two whenever they get rowdy. Enju is timid and dare I say, weak. But the good part of her is that she's always pushing herself to become better. I can't say much other than that since it's spoilery if I continue with that argument. However, as much as I love Enju and relate to her perspective, I recommend not projecting yourself to her because I did and... welp, let's just say I cried a lot after that.

As for the LIs, the game offers you five of them:

Gekkamaru (CV: Hotano Wataru), your bodyguard since you were a child. Overprotective. His loyalty towards Enju is IMMENSE and I meant that. He's ALWAYS with you in every route.

Thoughts: I thought he will be my least favorite LI and boy was I wrong. Gekka is husband material. Protective? Check. Loyal? Check. Can cook? CHECK. Will slash anyone - and I mean, ANYONE - who gets in his way of protecting you? ...uhm, check?

Kuroyuki (CV: Shimono Hiro), Gekkamaru's younger brother and Enju's childhood friend. A bit childish and immature but is incredibly skilled with his hands. He hasn't been around for 8 years due to him being sent away for a mission. Only childhood friend of Enju that did not grow up with them.

Thoughts: I...love Kuroyuki. He's like a little brother I'll probably spoil. That scenario of him snuggling up to you like a cat melted me! He loves Enju a lot...and would do anything to keep her.

Chojiro (CV: Kohsuke Toriumi), also a childhood friend of Enju's and also her teacher. They're cousins...and I mean, real cousins. Chojiro is emotionally constipated and has his priorities set straight...unless??????

Thoughts: His route really killed me. Although I can't see him as a man because I'm not into incest, ngl he had me squealing a little despite that. Chojiro was my 3rd run and I cried a lot when I did his route because before him, I did Goro's fluffy route........his bad end CG was really pretty tho.

Goro (CV: Midorikawa Hikaru), a man you met during your mission. Charming and a real girl magnet. He helps you with your investigation by telling you the rumors he picked up around town. I recommend going with his route first since it's the lightest read out of all the routes!

Thoughts: I love this guy. And from someone who never liked the 'lady's man' trope, that's saying a lot. He gives you a sense of stability and for all his wisecracking and flirting - I have to give it to the guy - it's effective. I had to catch myself and take small breaths to calm down! ><

Hanzo (CV: Kenjiro Tsuda), a very skilled shinobi working under the orders of Tokugawa Ieyasu (ring any bells?). Hanzo has his own version of emotional constipation and he's also an *old man*.

Thoughts: My only regret is that I did his route first! Hanzo has the best route in my opinion. I mean, becoming a battle couple? Being completely? In? Synch? I'm living for that 👌 ALSO, if I may add: there's a scene of the two of you getting soaked in the rain...he was absolutely gorgeous and I freaked out for a solid three minutes because of /something/ before I could proceed to reading the whole scenario and reaching the CG.

Would you recommend this to other users? Definitely recommend this to people who are looking for a mature storyline! Even though it ultimately made me feel a little depressed, it's exactly the reason why I love it. It is a long read though, and it took me a day to finish each route because I HAD TO take a break from all the angst. All in all, it's a really good game! And if you can, please buy the game in Steam OR PS Vita/Switch. They have a DLC waiting for you at their shop ;)

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: