💬 Review The Golden Rose Book One by JohNull

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,333,453 happy users since 2014.
Register

JohNull

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the app you are reviewing: The Golden Rose Book One

The Golden Rose Book One is a thrilling 1.2-million-word interactive fantasy novel by Ana Ventura, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fuelled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Review:
Opening Thoughts

I can not tell you how excited I have been to read this novel. Let me start by reiterating that fantasy is my favourite genre, especially regarding Choice Script games. I have been following Ana Ventura's progress on the book for a while, and I had very high expectations. She did not fail to meet them. I also played the demo, and this game showed great promise; I was nervous about its eventual release because I have had the experience where I look forward to a particular work-in-progress novel, and then when I finally get my hands on the final product, it has not lived up to the hype. Let me tell you why fantasy is my favourite genre of all time, regardless of whether it is a high or low one. There is a beguiling thing about both magical universes where winged beasts are a standard of life and ordinary ones with a sprinkle of spells.

Furthermore, what is superior to reading about an adventure in such a spot? Make your own story! This is the very thing interactive fiction is for.

The Story

At first, I was a bit taken back by the word count and maybe even a little put off, as that is a tremendous amount of time, and the narration has to be both elegant and captivating to keep the readers attentive throughout, and Ana Ventura did so perfectly. Additionally, 1.2-million-words is an excellent measure of work, and the length of even one playthrough demonstrates it pretty well—my first dive went on for more than 35 hours! Specific individuals whined that there was little substance to the events. However, I don't exactly concur with it. We get a ton of things done during our most memorable days in the city—from simply thoughtless strolling and conversing with fundamental examination to fascinating experiences, to battling for your life, and let us not forget befriending a cute little feline whom I named Sol, by the way, for her dashing orange fur, like the sun itself.

Let me move on to the world-building itself, which is the most imperative aspect of a good interactive novel as it creates much depth for the reader to sink their teeth into. Ana Ventura's ability to make such an intricate and in-depth world is astounding. It carries you to the great alternative middle-age Europe, where everyday things-the ones you could have found in history books are weaved with black magic, secrets, and risk. You meet individuals; you learn about the world's standards; you search, fizzle and succeed. What's more, if it appears that nothing is going on at one point, the next one can bring an entire tempest. In closing this point, I would like to conclude that Ana Ventura has managed to keep me as the reader hooked for over 35 hours, and most novels that are half the size of this ambitious project fail to meet that expectation, so the fact that she has managed to do so for 1.2-million-words is nothing short of masterful. I am happy with what we have seen so far as we were introduced to the characters and geographical locations that make up this beautiful yet dangerous land, and it has a great premise for an up-and-coming sequel; well, we can only hope.

My Thoughts About The Game

First of all, this novel is brimming with depth and intricacy at a staggering 1.2-million-words, which in my mind before I read the book was a recipe for trepidation from a logical point of view. It is logical to think so, as I have watched authors fail with less. In articulation, not exclusively in the story long; it likewise has a profuse determination of choices. Also, what is much more significant, amazing chances to roleplay, is another integral aspect of a successful interactive novel as it adds incrementally to replay value. You can make a person with any character and won't be rebuffed for choosing various ways to deal with undertakings or discussions. I went for a sober-minded and cold person with a horrendous shimmer inside who might transform into a mocking and prodding entertainer when around companions. I love my heartless, devilish handsome rogue. Aptly, joke, glare, snort, grin, sneer, be a tease, dismiss. Be thoughtful or chilly, sweet or trying, cautious or severe, or in the middle between. The game permits you to investigate every discourse in any capacity you like. The author created this novel with the idea of creating diverse and copious opportunities in terms of replay ability, and I have yet to have tried them all.

However, having a profuse amount of choice can lead to a tumultuous narrative and negate the overall fluidity of the author's writing, and especially with a novel of this size, it would be a severe error to make in the long run in terms of wanting to replay the story once completing it first. There's a sort of negative equilibrium at play here because, on the one hand, the various and copious choice offers more depth and replay ability, but then you have the fact that the sheer number of decisions can be pretty overwhelming as well. What's more, some can feel monotonous - consistent grunting choice being the clearest wrongdoer. Nonetheless, this is a choose-your-own-adventure game, so it is ideal to have the option to impact all aspects of it. Only be prepared for parcels and bunches of text. Ana Ventura might have sliced off a few pieces of it to arrive at the point quicker, and yet, I truly do like unmistakable composition. Much more so on the off chance that making extraordinary atmosphere is utilized.

In a closing point, I could go on and on about the characters and relationships we can build with said characters. However, I will state that at times the author failed to create personalities for their feelings, and this is imperative for a novel with romance aspects as it adds to the depth and character building, but when my characters lack personality and substance, it can be hard to like them at times. Succinctly, I crave well-written characters in every interactive novel I play, and maybe I can pin this negating factor on the fact that the other focused most of her time on world-building and descriptive writing in terms of scene and overall keeping the narrative flowing at the cost of poor characters. She failed to breathe the same air used to create a beautiful living world in her feelings, which severely negates my overall opinion of this game.

Closing Thoughts

In conclusion, The Golden Rose: Book One is a fine illustration of how an interactive book could and ought to be composed and transformed into a game. It offers you decisions and allows you to walk your way regardless of whether a few significant occasions are prearranged and bound to occur - tis the restrictions of any composition, tragically. This is just liberating; a breath of fresh air in the fantasy fiction genre, and I am very glad the Choice of Games community recommended this one to me as beforehand, the sheer amount of words turned me off, but I am pleased I overlooked that and got to absorb every inch of this intricate fantasy.

The world is rich and clear, loaded with enamouring characters and very much secret privileged insights, as well as interest and political conspiring. When everything is breaking into pieces, you are the one to track down the truth regardless of the expense. Furthermore, we can consider what future portions will bring and how this story closes. Yet, one thing I know without a doubt: it will be epic, and I am curious to see how the author continues going forward as the first instalment was an ice breaker in terms of getting you well versed with the characters, culture, religion and overall geographical setting and I hope to see Ana Ventura bridging these threads of depth into her second instalment.

Would you recommend this to other users? Overall, I believe anyone enamoured by this interactive novel's fantasy should give it a try, and yews I know 1.2-million-words, what a drag, but let me tell you, it has been the most pleasant drag of all in recent times. I have read a lot of Choice Script games that share the same staggering quantity of words, but none can compare in terms of keeping me attentive throughout, and I know many people will disregard this novel because most of it is descriptive writing and the sheer amount of text before you can have an impact on the story can be overwhelming but weather the storm, and you will see new horizons. I have always been a fan of descriptive writing anyway, so maybe I am being biased, and I know a lot of the Choice of Games community don't like novels with so much text, but I believe it is brilliant in terms of world-building and character structure it truly paints an image like no other I have read and lives up to the Choice of Games ethos: "fuelled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination." Let me tell you; there was enough fuel to set the entire Tongass National Forest ablaze.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:

JohNull

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 1 year
I did not realise the image would turn out like that. My apologies.

Yoda

Master of The Force
Verified 18+ user
Member for 6 years
Is there a way I can get this?
Unfortunately not. Sadly we are no longer able to mod Choice of Games or Hosted Games due to DMCA takedown.